Thursday, July 17, 2014

Caned wing back chair

My latest project a rescued wing-back chair that had been sitting in a barn for about 8 years.  My friends found it at a garage sale and paid $8 for it.

So this is my first attempt at refinishing an item that has an upholstery component to it. 

I gave it a good scrubbing with Murphy's oil soap  to get rid of the dust and bird droppings (yuck) and let it dry before I gave it a light sanding

Then I painted the springs with Black Tremclad paint.

I filled a couple of small holes with walnut wood filler.  Once that was dried and sanded, I used Minwax pre-stain wood conditioner followed by a couple of coats of Minwax natural stain.

Added 4 coats of Minwax Wipe-on-Poly in clear gloss (which I love)

Reset the springs to their correct position and covered them with a layer of burlap. Then a layer of foam and batting covered with another layer of burlap.

I then edged the chair with a black cord and tacked the Zebra stripe upholstery fabric in place. To hide the edge of the fabric and the tacks I glued some black braided trim on the inside of the cording.

I'm pleased with my first attempt at upholstery. Hopefully my friends like the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment