Thursday, July 17, 2014

Bakers cabinet reno

 I have a day off from work and am playing with my projects while I have time waiting for my appointment this afternoon.

So this is my project that I am working on today.  Paid $30 for it at a garage sale. It is a mid-century bakers cabinet. The bottom half still has its original bakelite handles,  the cutting board is also original.  However the previous owners had wanted to use it as a microwave cabinet and had thrown out the original upper doors out, so I will need to make some new doors for that section.


The enamel pull out counter is original and I found it to be in fairly good condition once I cleaned it. It is a pale honey yellow colour which I quite like.  I want to partially stain and paint the cupboard but I haven't decided whether to paint the frame and stain the panels or vice versa.  I think it will depended on what I find when I finishing striping the piece.  The doors and drawer are done already and are a nice birch wood so I am hoping the cabinet will be the same. The backing had a hole cut out for the microwave cord, so I am thinking of replacing the backing with tongue and groove pine boards.  I had been trying to decide what to do with the upper doors. I had been thinking thought of doing punched tin panels when I got some inspiration from Pintrest. A blogger had used a Radiator cover panel to make inserts for frame doors.  I had a look around to see what was available and found that Lowe's in Waterloo sells these and so I purchased one with a cool pattern so fingers crossed it looks good when I am finished with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment